Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by substructure
We all aspire to be macho-elitist jerks in one form or another. Go anyplace where there could be the slightest possibility of competition. Go to a gym where no one there is training to be the next Mr. Olympia but everyone wants to lift more than the next guy. Go to a bowling alley, or a golf range, or poker table, most guys want to be the best. And when they feel like they have reached that self imagined pinnacle in sight of their peers, it will not go unnoticed. It may be slight; like a new twinkle in his eye or a bounce in his step. He may throw his chest out more or speak a little loftier. It could be more exaggerated like a false sense of ownership of the establishment he dwells or even slaving a junior “Mr. Man” to fetch his thing and worship him while he does what he so good at. Whatever the case, a single egocentric jerk can be somewhat harmless.

But when 20 or so men think they have reached an untouchable class, watch out. People die.
Funny you should bring Bowling up. I Bowl competitivly and beleive it or not there are similar situations. Example, In a tourny with 2 lane courtesy (eg a PBA Regional) there is a specific time when it's my turn to bowl. If I go too soon (step up on someone) or too slow it can disrupt the flow and concentration of Bowlers on several pairs around me. If I do this once I may get a dirty look, twice I may get yelled at.

Would I get pissed at a 10 year old rec bowler if he didn't give me lane courtesy open bowling? No. Am I an elitist snob for expecting courtesy, and treating transgressions differently in a more competitive setting? I don't think so. Time and place, if you ride with the big boys and do something stupid you get yelled at. Simple, direct, nothing personal.