Old 10-14-21, 06:41 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked 3,383 Times in 1,584 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
Great suggestions. I omitted "how to buy remotely" from the video. Maybe I shouldn't have. I have a hard time buying online. I do it often but I dont like to. Ive been surprised at how good the bikes were that I purchased. On the other hand some were awful.
The Olmo was the only bike where I was a bit disappointed, so I might be doing pretty well. In general, it can be risky!
Now that I think about it, all of my vintage bikes were purchased remotely! It's only four bikes, so I'm not buying many, which probably helps.
One was from a fellow who was selling the bike nearly new-in-box. This was the Raleigh International, and he even threw in an extra bar and stem and a T.A. handlebar bottle cage, which I love!
The other two were from long-time members on the Classic Rendezvous list (and they sort of lurk here), so they had good reputations. The bikes were well photographed and documented, and I wasn't disappointed.
A side benefit is that they might consider selling other bikes at a later date.

Originally Posted by jjhabbs
I usually ask the seller to send me the five worst cosmetic wounds they could find. That eliminates a lot of potential purchases.
Good Ideas! Thanks

JJ
that's a really good idea!
Why does it remind me of a job interview where the applicant is asked "what's your worst trait?"...
If nothing else, it does prompt the seller to really go over the bike in detail instead of just assuming it's all in good shape.

Steve in Peoria