View Single Post
Old 01-09-22, 05:01 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
When I was wandering around England trying to visit as many builders as possible to find someplace that could teach me, I was surprised at how many small builders there actually were. Every major city had several and smaller midsized cities had one and sometimes two. Americans tend to be familiar only with frames from the biggest companies. Out of the way builders are seldom known over here. They often aren't recognized outside of their local region over there either. I learned at Ellis Briggs in Shipley West Yorkshire and it was a fairly big operation compared to the many garage builders making frames to be branded by bike store name instead of their own. E-B isn't well known over here. Yorkshire is an area seldom visited by outsiders. I went to a church in Bradford and I was the 1st American some members had ever met.

When I collected some framebuilding pieces from Johnny Berry's estate in 1975, I got some top eyes like are on this frame as well as those little brass rollers for gear cables. Those lugs look obviously hand cut to me. I've never seen anything similar. Of course I haven't seen that many British frames from that era either.
Likes For Doug Fattic: