View Single Post
Old 05-22-22, 08:25 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,880 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
News flash ! ! !
Person riding a motorized tricycle crashes while trying to negotiate at turn at an estimated speed of 40+ miles per hour.
I have nothing to add other than bicycles are generally not built for the load an engine will place on them. They are very dangerous and more so because the rider has no idea how to handle just a device an calamity ensues.
I had to work on a POS Huffy that has a gasoline engine attached in a hodge podge fashion. It is a death trap but I replaced the BMX style BB just to get it out of the shop. I refused to touch anything not directly pedal bike related. I do not want to be responsible...take it to a small engine repair shop.
Good luck
Many LBSs have a policy of not even letting a gas powered bike in the shop. When I had my shop in Cleveland years ago the city and my insurance both excluded gas from being allowed in the building.

These days many shops are struggling with the whole E Bike service issues. From battery storage, unavailable service parts, non "bike industry standard" parts (brakes being #1) used, lack of tech back up, and the feeling that these expensive bikes are still just a bike and thus shouldn't cost much to fix shops are finding out that taking in some bikes (E and gas powered) just doesn't make business sense. And can cost the shop real cents if something goes wrong.

One more example of what is able to be made and sold and why it is not always the right thing to do. Many people are driven by hope and dreams and less so by sense and safety. Andy