View Single Post
Old 07-19-22, 03:16 PM
Sardines

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Unless you ride a cobbled road like on the Paris Roubaix that's miles long, I would agree full suspension for a commute that's mainly asphalt is excessive. There are technologies like stem suspension (Kinekt), seat suspension like the cane creek thudbuster LT, which add a little weight and can soften many of the imperfections. Carbon seat post, forks and handle bars also work well.
That said, I did borrow a Hilite custom Ti Pinion with a Lefty that had 30mm travel, designed for gravel around Lake Zurich and it was fun on the off road sections and just fast enough on asphalt to make it speedy for commute. I only unlocked the lefty on the rough stuff, and really going on lower pressure tubeless gravel tires was for me the difference. I jumped curbs and went down stairs with ease, but I do that with my own carbon forked Ti bike. Obviously, over rocks and tree roots on a trail, the lefty is nicer, but I don't do that much with my commuter bike, but I also deal with crappy asphalt along the way. I did watch 10 secs of your clip and seems you choose to ride on the section that is being repaired? Stay on the smooth stuff. You're allowed! haha

Originally Posted by Ridinglurker
Large wheels and large quality tires at lower pressure will deal with potholes and will be lighter and faster.

Suspension adds maintenance, pedal bob, weight etc. Outside MTB, I don't see that being better overall.

My rigid bike with 29x2.15" front and carbon fork deals with all roads comfortably and is light and quick.

Good suspension needs maintenances ever 100 hours. And cheap suspension is just a boat anchor.