View Single Post
Old 07-20-22, 01:09 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by acroy
I stay the heck outta the way as much as possible. As I approach the intersection, I check behind me then take the lane to make it very clear to oncoming traffic that I'm coming through. then I get outta the way again.
You're an experienced commuter as you wrote. So you know to check behind you (do you have a mirror?) and signal or do whatever is necessary to make your impending left swerve clear to oncoming traffic. Repeatedly moving out of the way again results in repeated swerving to the left. You've apparently managed this for some time, except that we didn't hear exactly how the last bicycle got, "destroyed in an accident (everything bent, everything damaged)."

You're repeatedly expecting drivers to understand your intentions to move into traffic, and a driver failing this can be anticipated with foreboding. You and your bike will be safer if you take the lane and keep out of the gutter. Do let the cars pass, but put the onus on them to pass when it is safe instead of hopping curbs or riding into ditches to let them pass and then popping back out into traffic.

Last edited by greatbasin; 07-20-22 at 01:14 PM.