View Single Post
Old 09-28-21, 10:47 AM
atnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
@atnyc - I like your tire comments, they can make a world of diff. Instead of extra wheels to indulge the tire fetish, you might consider bikes to match those tires. Race bikes for those 22/23mm, Sport bikes for those 25mm, mixed surface bikes for 27/28mm, graveler for the 32+mm, tourers for the 650b beauties….

edit: the DeRosa Pro will never wear a 27+mm tire.

The added complexity of matching purpose to frame to tire is worth the effort when you get it right with a comfortable cockpit - and a pleasant day. I assure. Whoever said ‘it’s not about the bike’ (as in the totality of the Bike) was ill-informed - or got the best for free.

clear your handlebars and your mind will follow.
Well, that's why I started the reply with bikes being the rabbit hole! But I then realize I didn't have half as many bikes as many of the posters! That said, I have twice as many wheels as I have bikes! And 3 times as many tires!!! So clearly I have a tire problem.

On a more serious side. I'm mainly talking about mountain bikes. Terrain and surface condition of mountain bike trails vary much more than road surfaces.

Yes, I've experimented different tires on the same bike. Doing the same trail, tires make a huge difference!

Back on the joking side, I do have multiple bikes to suit the kind of riding I do. Unlike many of the bike collectors here, my bikes don't really overlap in geometry and function. Bike for lift-served downhill, bike for cross country, bike for club rides, bike for touring... And of course a do-everything-ok-but-not-great "compromise bike" for mixed conditions!

p.s.
I like your sig. I don't have a cyclecomputer on my handle bar any more! I don't need to know how fast I ride. (but I do have a light mount on one of my bike, and a bell on my commute bike's hb)

Last edited by atnyc; 09-28-21 at 11:44 AM.