View Single Post
Old 07-15-22, 10:54 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
Thank you all for your input. I think I am doomed to trial and error to find something that works.
Thanks all again, Frank.
Yes, I think that's true. Welcome to your own little corner of the prisonyard!

I've done decently well with medium and large racing shorts, Performance Ultra and Ultra II, and Bourre touring shorts, actually extremely similar to the Performance shorts.

I originally (35 years ago) would only buy 10-panel shorts because of better support and flexibility. My Ultras date back to that time (well, actually more like 20 years). My Bourre have fewer panels. When I ordered them I asked what happenned to the 10-panel designs? The answer (from Mr. Bourre) was that with the newer fabrics since those old days, he can give me the same performance and comfort with fewer panels. At the same time I found a simple short branded by Nashbar as pretty comfy, with kind of a felted pad, not real chamois or modern elastomer.

So far I haven't found a set of bibs that is a good fit, but Bourre has a personal fit program based on giving them your measurements. When I bought mine that program was just a few bucks more, because all their products are made based on orders received, even the stock catalog items. Price was about the same as for the top Performance shorts.

I have not tried any shorts by Pearl Izumi, though experienced (and more active than I am!) riders say you get what you pay for. I've heard good things about Sugoi, and the quality attributed to their being primarily a cycling company, not a fashion company. I've always been a big fan of Gore gloves and a really nice vest, but the LBS that sold their shorts is gone.
Likes For Road Fan: