Thread: 18mph pace
View Single Post
Old 07-17-22, 04:26 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen

What is a "zero drop" shoe? Never heard of that before. As for the other things, I don't run for looks. But I already have big feet. I don't think I would be really happy about them growing any more. Although I definitely think I need to strengthen them. I just don't know how to go about doing that.
A zero-drop shoe is a lot like a moccasin or a pair of slippers. There is minimal padding (if any) any, little to no arch support, and critically, the heel & toes are the same height. The idea is to emulate not wearing shoes at all. The foot is allowed to operate like a foot always has since the dawn of humanity instead of an atrophied crippled stump that modern shoes allow.

Nike Free are Nike's attempt. 5.0 being the most like a conventional with the most padding. The 1.0 being the most like slippers.

My wife swears by Xero. Though she still has heavy feet, she is no longer a heel striker. She wears them 12 hours a day in a production science lab.

I used to wear Vibram 5-fingers, but now wear some $45 Amazon brand...Whttn or some such. I too am on my feet for 8 hours.

They do take some time months to acclimate to when converting from super cushy conventional shoes. But it is nice to have tactile sense & feedback of the ground in every step to adjust your gait accordingly.

If nothing else, they are low stakes & comfortable to wear around the house. So you've got nothing to lose.

Car dependency is a tax.