View Single Post
Old 03-23-24, 06:45 PM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell;[url=tel:23193238
23193238]ok you had me at head shaver……. I’ve simply been a Barbasol guy, but tell me what the hemp/coconut oil does? And secondly am I to gather you still uses a shaving cream after the oil soaks in?

for probably 10 years I just used soap of any kind instead of shaving cream, but I do feel the cream has a slight advantage.
Most soaps have fragrance, which I can't tolerate. I get instant migraines from the solvents in fragrance. Then it also dries my skin to shave with soaps.
no shaving creme. sometimes a hair conditioner. I apply the oil with wet
hands and splash water on as needed to spread it well.
These or other oils work as an occlusive to protect the skin, and it provides good glide so not much pressure is required on the straight razor, or the razor of your choice.

It also soothes and conditions the skin.
Getting a clean shave requires the hair to be wetted/soaked for about two to three minutes for attaining it's softest state, making hair cutting easier. Proctor and Gamble has a study on that. After the two or three minutes of hydration it won't get any softer. Well hydrated hair is more easily cut. A scything motion cuts hair more easily as well. A variation on that (scything)is I think, called the Gillette slide. Shaving before good hair hydration may be part and partial to the later itching and possible razor burn by needing to apply excess pressure. Increased glide can lower the pressure required.

Last edited by streetsurfer; 03-23-24 at 06:54 PM.
Likes For streetsurfer: