View Single Post
Old 11-29-21, 12:54 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I don't have a good answer for treating the calluses. But I'd be looking at why they are happening in the first place. Same seat? Maybe that's the issue. Those calluses are probably the result of a lot of your weight on a small area, perhaps chafing and perhaps not varying your position on the seat.

Tricks I have used over the years. The various saddle creams aka chamois fats. For post issue so I can continue riding, I use the time honored Bag Balm; formulated a century ago to apply to cow udders in the early days of mechanical milkers. The next generation milkers were far better. Farm wives found all sorts of uses for that great stuff that allowed them to stay in business until those new milkers arrived. I'm guessing cyclists first discovered the stuff 100 years ago. I apply the creams to my skin, then wear good bicycle road shorts, then whatever I need to be warm enough (I ride nearly all winter). Use lots! Oh, finding Bag Balm - go to any old school pharmacy and ask. Small square green can that would look in place a century ago.

I go for rides bringing the wrenches for my seatpost and stopping as needed to tweak the seat position. (I consider seat position the number one in importance. My seatposts all have clamps with two bolts making small adjustments that can be undone or replicated exactly easy.) I used to race. 8-10,000 miles a year was what I did. Saddle sores happened. Not like yours but still not fun. I had to ride. So I'd tweak the seat position to stay off it until it passed.

Seats! So individual. The variety out there is amazing. Many stores limit you to the few they keep in stock, but things are changing, In cities where riding is popular, store owners are seeing that helping customers get the best possible saddle can be a winning move even if that customer ultimately finds that saddle somewhere else. Policies like allowing you to spend real time on a saddle, then bring it back for a full refund (often in store credit) if it doesn't work out. I believe some of the mail order outfits do the same.

The sores you have? I'd go to a doctor. Perhaps one who rides. A local shop or cycling club might have some names.

Good luck! And report back.