WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1809 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,392 Posts
Correct spindle for a triplizer Strada

I purchased a Batavus Professional frame set and discovered it is French-threaded. . This means that both headset and bottom bracket will need to be French-threaded.

I had collected up a "group set" that includes a Rally Rd and a triplizer Strada crankset and would like to use these.

Problem I face is that French threaded bottom brackets cups are thin on the ground and when found, expensive. Cartridges bottom bracket selections with French-thread (especially for a triple) are even rarer, and if found are even more money. Velo Orange for example doesn't seem to have any 122mm ones in stock anymore. 122 was as wide as I have seen. Too bad because the Velobase ones were only $50. I do see some very cheap Chinese cartridge BB's but i assume you get a poor quality one for a cheap price.

Does anyone know of a source for a longer French-threaded cartridge? Also, does anyone know what size cartridge I'd need?

If I go with a conventional cup and spindle set up, does anyone know how long a bottom bracket spindle I will need? Bottom bracket is 67.8mm, so it's a 68mm I need if that helps for calculations.

Because the Strada started life as a double, does it have to move as far out as a triple that started life as a triple? I would assume so, but I don't want to have buy up random Campagnolo tapered spindles until I find the correct length. Velobase shows varying lengths for British or Italian threaded spindles for the varying Campagnolo cranks but rarely shows a length for French BB's and when those are shown, they are different from a British or Italian thread.

Presumably, the bottom bracket could be re-threaded to Italian threading but I would prefer to avoid that as the re-tapping will remove material and weaken the threads.

Here are the cranks for reference.

Likes For WGB: