Old 02-16-21, 10:16 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,146 Posts
You need to be concerned about getting hit, but I think you are too concerned about it.

I have had close calls from someone passing the vehicle behind me on a bike, but the one doing the passing did not see me until they had passed, they assumed they could turn into the lane where I was and they had judged that to be safe from opposing traffic until they were almost hitting me. I do not like any vehicle that close to me that is behind me for that reason.

Some friends of mine did Southern Tier a few years ago, they rented a mini-van in California and returned the van in Florida. One of the group drove the van each day on a rotating basis. The van driver had the luggage and usually stopped at preplanned locations for lunch, water stops in the desert, etc. In that case they stayed indooors and made room reservations for the entire trip before they started. I prefer more flexibiliyty for a long trip, you never know that far in advance about the weather, but that was how they did it.

Most of my tours are on roads like in the photos, no or minimal shoulder, you need good situational awareness and you need to be highly visible.

And one risk that should not be overlooked, with the increase in electric vehicles and hybrids, there will be more times when you did not hear the car approaching from behind. You NEED a mirror to know when you can venture further into the traffic lane to avoid potholes.

In this one, it is hard to see but there is a rumble strip in the middle of the shoulder, you had to ride in the traffic lane.

Even when there is plenty of shoulder, there is debris in the shoulder and you need a mirror to know when it is safe to go around the debris.

I am not saying it is safe, but it is doable. There are risks to everything. I think your proposed solution has other inerrant risks too. But there are reasonable measures you can take to try to be safer.

More and more I am seeing flashing taillights on bikes. I did a week long unsupported tour with ACA about a decade ago, I was the only one in a group of over a dozen that had a flashing taillight on during day one. By end of trip, two others were doing the same. Now a decade later it is almost common. Touring I do not have a front light on, mostly because I am saving my power for things like GPS, etc. But if you have access to an outlet or a car 12v outlet every day, you have more power and could run a flashing headlight too. I had a close call five years ago, a car decided to pass in front of me (coming towards me) and they must have been nearly blind to not see me, but they went past me in my lane with only inches to spare.

There was a good thread on visibility here, you should review it.
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...lity-gear.html
Likes For Tourist in MSN: