View Single Post
Old 12-16-21, 04:56 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
I had to go to the web to see that a PFP-4 was a floor pump. My first thought was that it was a mini and was going to suggest a real frame pump (this being C&V). Got corrected, then saw that you would never pump up your tires in the garage using your mini. Again, a real frame pump! Get a Zephal HPX. The sophisticated younger sister of the HP. Black or silver "Classic: like the old HP. A frame pump that will take you to full riding pressure easily, even the high pressures we used 40 years ago. (For 10 years, the HPs on my bikes were the only pumps I owned. Sewups; the race ones got pumped from scratch every time. Only pump deaths recorded were auto fatalities. (This was before velcro straps, even velcro. I straightened the shaft and drove a broom handle down the cylinder to save one that got run over. Served many years after with a nice ergonomic arc in the pump stroke.)

Those HPs are sweet for gravel riding. I can ride my 70 psi tires 30 miles to the gravel, ride the gravel almost flat and pump back up for the ride home. Wouldn't be much harder on 110 psi tires except I'm to old to ride the gravel on those.
Likes For 79pmooney: