burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Ramp tests are widely used for FTP. SYSTM adds the 20 minute subthreshold effort, ostensibly to 'refine' the FTP estimate. I think ramp tests are good for cyclists like me who haven't ever tried to do a 20 minute FTP test, and so have no experience with pacing etc. I used to use HR to train exclusively, till I got a Smart Trainer and started using power, but only on the trainer.

The one thing I'd say is the RPE was pretty much the same for the two ramp tests, both of which I stopped at the same 'feeling', but one was significantly higher power. Anyway, I found it an odd observation, such a difference in power at the same HR, and over a long enough interval to be 'real'.

FTP is also a way to keep you from UNDERdoing it.
They're widely used as the actual tool to measure it is too difficult for most mortals to ever complete......the 40k TT or an hour all out. Since nobody can bear to do that all the time, ramps and estimates.

It's widely used not because it's super super accurate, it's because it's an easy proxy.

The thing about the sweetspot or tempo or whatever effort they do after, that characterization can depend a whole lot on genetics and also on HOW you're routinely riding the bike.

If it works for you good. Just be consistent. That's what matters, consistency.

If not, the best indicator of performance is performance itself.

Either way, with "ftp" and percentage based workouts if you "know" your body you can adjust the workouts as you go and even during the workout.

Too many people accept as gospel the test result then chew bar tape and cuss and swear and miss workout goals and targets that are set too high (or easy).

Try some workouts with either, and adjust a little bit as you go. If a workout goes too easy and you're afraid to adjust mid workout.......add a set. If a workout is too hard, cut some % mid workout OR cut out a set. Then get it right the next try by adjusting the ftp setting by that bit.
Likes For burnthesheep: