View Single Post
Old 07-19-22, 09:15 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
"Spoke pops out of nipple" Explain better please.
The first reading had me think the spoke was so long (or the rim flat spotted badly) that the nipple had to be so far threaded onto the spoke for any real tension that it extended above the nipple.
But on rereading I wonder if the spoke never engaged the nipple's thread and the nipple was just floating on the spoke.

Or is there another situation?

Belts and suspenders are a good idea when one no longer has a LBS they can walk to and get another part from quickly. Bad nipple threads do happen (I used to keep a non drilled and threaded nipple to show that mass production wasn't perfect). Back in the day we used to thread a nipple on each spoke sold to insure it all worked. The time to do that is pretty much not paid for these days. Instead people rely on assumed QC departments. Andy
The spoke had seated and I was winding them up one at a time. Checked tension and was still low, then PING!. This is new to me, never had that one happen. Its obviously a thread interface issue. Also, which is harder metal, the spoke or the brass? I assume the spoke, but if the thread is damaged none of that matters. And the nipples are 14mm so lots of engagement room. Bigger concern would be a bad batch of parts and this continues as I go.