Old 09-13-22, 02:33 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Yes it typically will reduce the effective saddle height. So you might have to raise your saddle. But if we are only talking about silly little milimeters, then your new position with respect to the BB might have your body feeling that it needs a different saddle height altogether that is disproportional to the mathematical difference in distance.

So why not just try something and see if it works for you.
I completely agree and no doubt you are correct. As you know, what got me started down this rabbit hole was the constant numbness and hot foot on the left. Tried everything I could think of to fix it over the years since the fit. The fitter was aware of the hot foot and he made better. Downside is I haven't been to Boulder since COVID.

Got to thinking I should try a new saddle and got a couple of loaners from the local Trek shop. When I put the 165mm on it was perfect on my sit bones, unlike anything before, but I had to slide back in the saddle to get exactly spot-on.

Tried the 155mm - no go. Back to the 165mm saddle and then forward 15mm. Ah, good. But then it felt like my weight on the saddle was lower than it should have been given the weight distribution on my pedals. Not equal support between the two when just cruising along flats with a few rolling hills thrown in for good measure.

That led me to the question of effective saddle height given the move forward and the feeling the saddle needed to be higher in relation to everything else.

I think it is disproportional to the actual mathematical difference. It has to be because the actual distances are so small. As you said, millimeters don't matter - until they do

My body definitely feels it. I think I'll raise it 5mm at first and see what I think (feel) and go from there.

I really appreciate your help with me thinking through all this.

Thanks again.

Glenn