View Single Post
Old 09-19-22, 10:35 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by ADAM31
the bike has sram etap shifters no cable adjustments
IMO there is absolutely no excuse for derailleur systems not having some kind of fine tuning system. Doesn't matter where; derailleur, lever, or frame boss, but no adjustment makes achieving perfect trim unreasonably difficult.

In your case, the FD cage seems to be trimmed inboard a hair, which is why outward movement of the chainring under load causes some rub. If there's enough residual tension in the cable, it's possible that you might be able to solve this by backing out the high limit a hair. Otherwise your only option is to loosen the clamp and pull down the cable. This is a PIA job because you're only trying to move it a tiny bit. My trick for this is to clamp he wire with a vise grip, up against the arm. This ensures retaining the original position while allowing me to pull it out a bit.

BEFORE adjusting the cable, test the theory by trapping a pencil between the wire and frame to bow out the wire and effectively shortening it. You can test ride using a rubber band looped above and below to hold the pencil in place.

Final note, it's also possible that a slightly loose BB is allowing the crank to deflect. This is easily tested by lining up the crank with the seat tube, then squeezing in and/or pulling away to feel for any movement.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-19-22 at 10:39 AM.
Likes For FBinNY: