View Single Post
Old 09-20-22, 08:40 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4206 Post(s)
Liked 3,867 Times in 2,313 Posts
One of the really nice features of having only one caliper per lever and having a caliper on each wheel is one can modulate the braking forces and better control their bike is varying conditions. So in my world having two calipers on one wheel would mean that each has its own lever, pretty much eliminating the ability to have the other wheel have its caliper on its own lever and still be able to modulate that brake.

I have thousands of miles on tandems and have the rear hub brake (sometimes called a drag brake) controlled by a bar end "shift lever". Fine for setting an amount of brake application but it rots for any real modulation. Early on my first tandem used a brake lever with both ft and rr calipers controlled by it, two cables entered the lever. With the different cable lengths and different "power" that a ft and rr brake have getting the balance between the two cables was impossible. Oh, one could set up the balance to work OK at slow speeds but than it would be poor at higher speeds.

Are you having stopping problems with the usual single caliper on each wheel? I wonder what problem you are trying to solve. Andy