View Single Post
Old 09-21-22, 11:19 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
He wrote that in 2002; it's part of the Medici/Confente CR list saga.

I'm not understanding the significance, if any, of this portion of your post. Could you explain what you meant?

Btw, when I first read that CR list thing it was 2005 or so, perhaps a bit earlier, and you know what? I completely understood, for the first time, exactly what Brian Baylis was getting at. We love to invent heroes, don't we?

I should point out that while I was poking a little fun when I made my original post (obviously there is a difference in the degree of finish between a Confente and a Medici), the basic tenet still remains: the ride is likely the same, and if we threw a Baylis into the mix, it would also likely ride the same. The materials and geometry are the basic deciders of that ride - and, as Kurt rightly pointed out, the bestest, lightest tubular wheelset one can afford. And don't skimp on the tires - or glue

DD
I did not read the date footer ( the limits of iPhone screen, but definitely knew the author)
Brian had a respect/ quandary / dismay?
regarding Mario. He had a working history with him and felt a bit slighted for his good efficient work not being recognized. This was a separate old CR thread regarding filing some fork blade to dropout connections. The rejected one was the sample Mario provided to work from. 24 were consistent and acceptable, Brian's effort, ticked Brian off.

Brian worked hard, he admitted later he was an artist, this goofed up the Wizard bicycle venture as way way too much time was spent on modest return of $240. Each.

so, rolling back the clock, before the "James Dean" effect, there was this Italian charging way beyond what others were and with a full order book. Plenty of other builders to this day, "why not me?"

an Italian melodic name helps.
a sense of style and how to recognize it.
( the USA graphics package went along with the metalwork, possibly even influencing it)
the Italian Confente graphic packages were modest and ho hum even- they were not going to get you big bucks. The established Italian boutique builders, Masi, Pogliaghi, Colnago all had competent graphics.

Merz comes to mind as a very capable builder who just did not perceive the "packaging" as a necessary part. He liked domed stay and fork ends, required skill for sure, looked pedestrian and it did not help that Reynolds would do them for a pittance extra complete and slotted.
the Merz graphics were a three footer to read.
that don't cut it in the marketing world.

Eisentraut I think goofed. Great but almost unreadable downtube graphic but worked as a "chop" one did not have to be able to read it.
Big error in my mind that there was no head and seat tube herald. An image of a racer crossing the line first? The headtube was blank.
What a missed opportunity.
Likes For repechage: