View Single Post
Old 09-24-22, 10:59 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I just hit 70 a couple of weeks ago. The past 5 years has been an ongoing transition time. Not just gearing, but set up of my bikes also. I have never had Campy, always Shimano, so cannot comment on that. But, I have found a real sweet spot for me gearing wise with 10 speed; 46/38 up front with a 11-34 in the rear. I live in flatland, so, if I am traveling and going to be riding hills/mountains, just a quick easy change to 34 small ring, and shorten the chain to it's proper length. That is also easy, the chain has 2 quick links 2 links apart. It was recommended not to do this, at least it used to be, but I have had no problems with it.

This set up is on my Lemond Poprad, and I have considered going to a 1x front and wide spread cassette, but came to the conclusion that I have no need to do that, and do not want to invest the dollars into it. I already can ride the big ring and never have to drop into the small, unless it is really windy, or, when carrying a heavier load.

Crank sets, in general, have quite a bit of compatibility with different speed groups, and often with different brands. You should be able to google it for answers. And, quite likely, someone will be chiming in on this thread with real world experience.