Old 09-26-22, 09:27 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Yeah, that looks like Minnesota in winter...

Technically before the spring equinox, so yeah. But more to the point, they always seem to get a couple 50 degree days in January or February in recent years. It's becoming increasingly common.

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
My parents are long gone. Life is too short.

Get them the Rene Herse EL tires and don't look back.
I understand the sentiment! I would, but I can't afford it. More than half my income goes to rent because I am in an academic career. They have bought a "pop-up" tent trailer and were recently thinking about a new car until they came to their senses. Only reason I can afford the bike stuff I do have is because of my Craigslist low-end flips, cheap 650b Pari-Motos, importing things via my euro connections, using the Harvard fabrication facilities in the nighttime, and cobbling together my own half-custom frames with my brazing torch as the neighbors call the fire department on me.

Anyways, they are living their best lives, for the most part. I'm barely scraping by. At this point, due to all the stress, I wonder if I may die before them. But at least I have nice tires.

They believe that good tires aren't worth it and I'm trying to get them to see the light, on a budget. My little brother has abetted this, shoving his ultra heavy Surly doctrine down their throats as well. The boy is an animal (and also not yet 30 years old) and can make a 40lb Surly mule fly, so his angle is that nice tires and light bikes are for the weak. So the family is all-in on greenguard Schwalbe Marathons, which are practically like automotive run-flats at this point, and Surlys, which are practically like motorcycles at this point.

All this to say, anything half as good as a Jan Heine tire should get the point across.