View Single Post
Old 09-15-21, 06:35 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
A Tale of Two Cleats

The photos below tell their own story. I replaced the cleats on both my pairs of "Summer" shoes recently. One pair was the usual cheapo aftermarket cleats, the other was a pair of genuine Look bimaterial cleats (the Amazon seller only had the one pair left on stock, and I was in the LBS for something else and bought a pair while I was there). Both shoes are B'wtin 500s, albeit one pair is a newer model.

The main difference before fitting was the price - the copies were less than a tenner, and the Look items set me back £15.

Both pairs were fitted at the same time, and I've done a similar mileage in both pairs of shoes. I replaced the genuine Look cleats last week - completely worn through, and had been creaking incessantly for over a week. The cheap Chinese cleats don't show half the wear. The other difference I've found is that the Look cleats are slippery - seriously, dangerously slippery. I've put my foot down a few times and had it slip out from under me, especially on wet days.

While it's a little time since I last used genuine Look cleats I don't remember them being this bad - I know they've always had a tendency to creak as they wear but the fast wear and the slippery surface is something I don't recall experiencing before. Has anyone else seen anything like this?