Old 04-06-24, 07:37 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 5,060 Times in 1,798 Posts
Last night I addressed the headset on this one. Tore it all down and removed that "replacement" fork. The steerer on the fork was marked "Lungi Taiwan". A little research shows some of Kuwahara BMX bikes had these, hmmmm....

The fork is just like this one.

Found at this link:
https://www.velosaloon.com/products/...ome-steel-fork

Anyway, I removed what rust was left under the crown of the fork, removed some rust and pitting off the headset parts, degreased it all, polished it up, lubed it up, and put it all back together. Not sure who made this headset but it had two lock ring that had just notches in them. I've been the smaller end of my hook wrench on these.

I still haven't given up on the stuck seatpost yet.

Oh and something interesting last night. I couldn't find any steel wool at first but their was a dry Mister Clean Magic Eraser sponge on the work bench. That actually took off the surface rust and small pitting on the chrome headset parts while not scratching up the shine, surprising.