Old 03-05-24, 07:45 AM
ignant666
ret'd msgr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by axolotl
you're unlikely to be mistreated if you're returning to your own country since you have to be allowed in.
You would think that that would be so, but: I am native-born US citizen. The only border crossings where i have ever been given a hard time in my life have been a couple times re-entering the USA (never on or with a bike, to be clear). I have crossed many borders into 20 or so countries in Europe, Turkey/Iran/Afghanistan/Pakistan/India, Central and South America, and Canada, with never the slightest problem, delay, or hassle.

The most memorable was a flight back from Mexico, where i got bumped from my direct-to-NYC flight and had to change planes in Texas, thus also clearing customs/immigration in Texas. I was the only person the plane with no checked baggage, so i was the first one to hit customs after clearing immigration. I was also the last one on the plane to leave customs, after a prolonged search of my small bag and its contents, including turning literally every page of several wrestling magazines, and unfolding and painstaking examination of all the wrestling posters and masks i had.

There were also, during this long search, many many aggressive questions about my trip to Mexico,. with a persistent focus on "What did you do at night?" They did not seem to find "Went to the wrestling" a very satisfactory answer, despite the extensive evidence that this was true that they were so busy examining. I think my prolonged search was because i had a "yankee" accent, and very clearly was not from Texas (unlike every other person on the plane). They seemed very disappointed that i had no kilos of hidden drugs that they could arrest me for.

That was US customs hassling me, but i have also had a couple episodes of prolonged and hostile questioning by US immigration officers on a power trip, despite the fact that we both knew that, no matter what answers i gave them, they were going to have to eventually let me into my native country.

The Canadian border has always been completely uneventful in both directions for me.