View Single Post
Old 06-28-21, 04:33 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4528 Post(s)
Liked 6,424 Times in 3,698 Posts
Originally Posted by dbalu
For stuck fix cups I got the best results with loads of lubrication (sometimes I had to used Molybdene based lubricants) and a vice. Might be a good idea to have someone help you, applying pressure to the BB shell so it will stay flat on the vice's claw. It is worth trying both directions, I was surprised to learn that a Peugeot PY10 I recently serviced had a Swiss BB and I extra-tightened the cup by trying to unscrew it.
I would encourage you to read through the thread a little more. The OP tried the vise method with no luck, he is dealing with a Stronglight cup with 8 flats and no spanner that fits. We have discussed this at length, many ideas have been recommended that did not work. His LBS got it off finally.

I never use the vise method, have seen several nice frames damaged when the frame slips out of the vise, my clamp and cheater setup has never failed or damaged anything, it like the vice, takes practice and patience for a good result.

This is a regular topic here and many different opinions always come up with many here including myself insisting theirs is the best, easiest, fastest, etc.

At the end of the day the method that works best for you is the best method for you to use.

But when someone that has not been there asks for help it seems that many think that someone will be able to do it like they do.

And they may be able to but if not and slipping wrenches and vises are part of the problem then the result may be worse than simple failure when it ends up making the problem worse.