View Single Post
Old 02-25-19, 02:17 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanK
Yeah, I can see that especially since the stock Tubus racks on the Giramono are among the very best. Unfortunately for a long unsupported tour some things would need to be changed on both bikes. For the Sutra I'd probably get better racks, but everything else seems fine. For the Giramondo I'd probably get a better saddle and maybe beefier wheels and tires.. In terms of overall quality and value they do seem to be among the best production touring bikes. As I said, I think the Salsa Marrakesh is also a strong contender as a dedicated all-road touring bike while the Sutra and Giramondo are better for a combination of touring, commuting and some single-track.

Great discussion.
i liked the 'Salsa but the top tube didn't slope down enough for my taste, and I wanted to be able to mount and dismount a loaded bike a bit easier, it seems my age and various injuries hinder me a bit with flexibility, I can get off my vintage touring bike but as I have gotten older it's becoming increasingly a bother and I can see in another 10 years it may be a problem so that's the reason for the top tube being more slanted rather than horizontal.