MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by EliasGoodman
Hi everybody,
cycling can lose weight or not? My friend cycled daily around the area where she lived but did not seem to notice the weight loss but also tended to increase slowly. Do not know where the problem lies? Can someone point me out the problem?
Thank you very much for your interest in my matter.
Not a problem. Your friend is probably eating back most of the calories she is riding off. Weight loss is mostly about what, and how much you eat. And it doesn't have to be a huge amount of food. Maybe your friend just has a slow metabolism. Maybe she isn't burning off as many calories as she thinks she is riding. Or somehow balances out the time she rides with periods of inactivity the rest of the day. Or maybe she is eating more than she thinks she is. It doesn't have to be huge binges, like they show on reality TV or those Youtube mukbang videos.

Say your friend rides 3 times a week for an hour at a moderate pace, burns, say, 500 calories a ride. So 1,500 calories a week. All she needs to do to negate those calories burned is to eat back and extra couple of hundred calories a day. If she isn't really controlling her eating, an extra 200 calories is nothing.