Old 05-28-21, 01:51 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Massive Cramps in the Night After Riding...Help !!

So let me start out by saying I had a serious accident in December. I have mentioned it in a few threads. I had a serious comminuted Type 3 tibial plateau fracture and was non weight bearing for 3 months. I made a serious investment in titanium screws/plates and was lucky enough to only have a partially torn ACL/MCL as well as the fracture extended to the MCL insertion site. My meniscus was jacked up as well. I got cleared to start walking in March and by April I ditched the cane and had a limp ... which allowed me to limp to my bike. Some weak mountain biking and neighborhood pedaling to start.

I have pushed pretty hard after starting to ride again this month and have since completed about 200 miles. Getting stronger every ride. I feel decent about my basic nutrition knowledge although I am making some mistakes (totally craping out the last 7 or 8 miles of a 42 miler yesterday because I had no snack while riding). My worry is that my hurt leg has been seriously withered by being non weight bearing. It is obviously undersized. I killed it in PT (meaning did great) and as soon as I was weight bearing I started lots of weighted leg exercises and now cycling. Its slowly coming back and its not crazy undersized now but I can tell.

On my ride yesterday and a few weeks ago on a 35 miler (both longest rides of the year at the time so far) I felt well hydrated (60-80 oz H20 at work, 40 oz on the bike , pre ride meal etc.) but was pretty spent in the latter portion of both rides. Water when I got home, nice meal, protein shake w/BCAAs. Felt pretty accomplished !!

About 3 hours after going to sleep I was woke up with massive cramps in my hamstring on my broke ass leg. Each time they lasted 10-15 minutes and were excruciating. Screaming out loud painful ....freaked my wife out and my dog took off out of the bedroom like a rocket.lol. I kneaded the heck out of it , got up and stretched ....seemed like standing and time helped the most. I'm not sure if its the distance, a missing vital nutrient or poor hydration that has caused this but each time it happened I had definitely pushed it that day. Any ideas would be helpful

I have a different thread on trying to fit a higher stem as my neck was also severely injured and keeping my head extended for a long period is do-able but kind of painful. Doubt its related to my leg issue but it has caused cramping in the large muscles of my back. Never had a big issue with cramping before but I'm telling ya .... I am seriously motivated to keep this from happening. Twice was enough. No residual pain in the morning FWIW.