Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
That 90 degree heuristic may work for people of average upper arm and forearm and total arm dimensions, but not for people who don't fit the model. Further, if someone does have average dimensions and a 90 degree angle and feels uncomfortable, should the person stay uncomfortable or ignore the 'rule'?

Core strength can be evaluated in at least one parameter pretty easily. How long can you hold a plank position? A minute or longer - maybe core strength is OK; much less than a minute, probably a weak core.

I thought the rule of thumb was having the bars obscure the front hub while on the hoods, but I ride an old bike with a ROT of bars obscuring the hub while on the drops. If your bars are in front of the hub, I think that's a longer reach than recommended. Also, I think 100 mm is longer than most manufacturers put of frames for people your height.

But I think numb hands say too much weight on your hands. IDK ... I use a quill stem, and changing stme length is a big deal for me. All you need to do is remove and replace 8 allen bolts to try out a shorter stem. Besides, it looks like you've used a shorter stem with success, so I'd recommend trying out a 70-80 mm stem.
I didn't think I needed to mention it, but guess I do: The first thing one does is adjust saddle position, then stem. My bike fit primer is here: https://www.bikeforums.net/21296948-post3.html
That's simplified of course, but that's how it's done. Body proportions don't enter in to it. Following that path allows for all that, which is the reason fitters use it.

Numb hands usually means the saddle is too far forward or the person is riding with straight arms or doesn't change hand positions frequently. Or they don't understand how to position their hands on the bars: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...l#post12953035
Increasing reach by using a longer stem takes weight off the hands rather than increasing it, assuming that hip angle does not change.
The bars obscure hub thing is like KOPS: Works well for people of average proportions.