View Single Post
Old 03-19-22, 03:59 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4451 Post(s)
Liked 4,909 Times in 3,039 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
The bolded part is fun because that's the thing that the balance method relies on. The idea of starting with KOPS has nothing to do with pedaling mechanics, only with balance. It's just an easy way to get the rider close to being in balance, no more, no less. There's really nothing to argue about. Simple inspection should be enough to convince anyone that there's no scientific method for determining this balance point. It depends on the rider's proportions, weight distribution, pedaling style, and surely other variables which are also impossible to measure by any means other than riding one's bike.
Well if KOPS was a generic attempt at finding a rider's CofG balance point (which I don't believe it is) then you might as well just use the balance method anyway, because that intrinsically takes all the various inter-related parameters you mentioned into account. Ultimately it's a pretty subjective process, which I think we can agree on. It's hard these days to find a professional fitter who pays any regard to KOPS, although I'm sure there are a few diehards out there.