Old 09-06-21, 07:08 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 411 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
FWIW, I've never had a problem getting Continental 4000s or 5000s onto Mavic Open Pro rims; they all but install themselves, and is a major reason why I ride that combination so much. Getting them onto a pair old old Weinmann (I think) "Gentlemen" rims, however, is basically impossible without a prying device like Steelbikeguy and verktyg showed above. I have two Kool-Stop Bead Jacks - one in the tool collection and one for carrying in my pocket on rides. I used the Bead Jack for pretty much all tire installations now as my hands are not as strong as the used to be.
Well, one thing I won't be doing is changing rims to better fit the tires. And I think I need to check, I bought a bead jack a while back, but to carry it I'd need to replace every under-seat bag I own due to size. I did see something called a TyreKey online last night, it might be an option, more portable.

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Velox cloth tape is a quality product, and I use it on a few wheels... but it's thick, and sometimes that makes the tire fit way tighter than it needs to. Even if you don't plan to set a wheel up tubeless, "tubeless tape" or the like can be great because it's thin and strong. Try some Kapton or Scotch 8898 or Tesa 4289 tape in 1/2" width, two layers, and see if that makes it easier to get tires on and off.
I just looked for Kapton, and I presume it's not a bike-specific product? Unsure on sourcing...

Originally Posted by Chombi1
Question is, how does a big, established tire company like Continental get this tire so wrong??
Well, I did send a note to Continental yesterday, asking if they've had any other complaints or possibly made a bad batch. If I get an answer, I'll share that.

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I question that premise. Continental's own rim tape is -- drum-roll -- thinner than Velox: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...tape-rim-strip
Well, that's an option. Wow, almost ten bucks and I presume that's per wheel? Not per pair?