View Single Post
Old 03-13-19, 08:09 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Counterpoint: They're new. And like all trends, there's a bandwagon approach at first before the newness wears off and it fades into the distance. Recall the moped, for example?
Poor example.

The moped did not leave the roads due to waning interest. It was legislated off the roads. It appears that the various states are making an effort to avoid that mistake with e-bikes. While here on the "just drive a car forum" it falls on deaf ears, the states are waking up to the idea that there needs to be a variety of solutions to the traffic issues.

Due to the cost, either of a new e-bike or of time to build one, I don't see much of a "fad" effect. But then, most of the e-bikes I see are in car substitute roles, such as small grocery runs and commuting. Unlike many here on just drive a car forum, I hope to see more e-bikes, push-bikes, and the like being used in roles that reduce reliance on the auto.

Part of reducing the overall reliance on the auto is in supporting and praising alternatives, not damming them for some lack of purity and machismo.

As to the original question, it is so poorly worded that I delayed answering. The original question is an example of a false dichotomy, to turn a question into a simple this or that choice instead of recognizing that most real responses will be heavily nuanced. I enjoy riding my push-bike. However, I use my e-bike for commuting and chores.

For me, the deciding factor was the wind. It is not at all uncommon, in the town I work in, to leave for work in 30+ mph (45-50 kph) winds. I was starting to think of driving to work. At that point, I decided that I had to do something. I built an e-bike (I am now on version two) and found an enjoyable way to get to work that didn't involve driving along with something new to tinker on. I still get a pretty good workout, but I am not arriving completely knackered (yes, this second version relies on a torque sensor based system).

Last edited by Robert C; 03-13-19 at 08:22 AM.
Likes For Robert C: