Old 03-05-23, 09:35 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
I don't know whether cycling has become more hazardous, but people driving cars just don't see bikes. They are not looking for them. Today I was riding through a residential neighborhood and someone backed out of his driveway directly into my path, causing me to do some heavy braking. His window was down and when he did see me right there on top of him, he said "I'm sorry," to which I replied "no problem" and rode on. My point is, he wasn't trying to pull out in front of me and was sorry when he did. He just didn't see me. You always have to ride as if you are invisible to motor vehicles, because lots of time you are.
Only drivers who are avid cyclists actually see bikes on the road. The avg non cyclist driver is programmed to only see cars and nothing but cars...This has been documented in studies.
Likes For michaelm101: