View Single Post
Old 07-14-22, 11:03 PM
novecho_delta

Bikes: 2022 'Eventyr Ravn' Custom Ti Touring Bike, 2017 Norco VFR4 (Drop Bar Conversion), 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not sure if I'll be celebrated or skinned alive for posting this here, but this is the closest I'll ever get to the wizardry that is framebuilding:

My custom touring bike, designed by yours truly and built by Titan Cycles, out of Xi'an, China.

Isn't she beautiful?

Final Design Drawing - Almost prettier than the frame...

Very rough sketch in BikeCAD - more importantly, this sketch helped me decide on my geo numbers

Bad photo, I know. Fully loaded/fitted for testing - not final parts spec

I'll mostly be riding on-road with this bike, but have futureproofed this bike with the ability to run 29x2.0" tires (or even 27.5x3.0" if I wanted to), adding sliding dropouts (for an IGH someday?), and relaxing the geometry slightly to increase the capability offroad. Going with a 70.5 degree head tube angle and a 60mm BB drop was probably not the smartest idea for a solely on-road touring bike (and I definitely notice it, especially the BB Drop), but the extra clearance and stability that provides is worth it to me.

I based the bike's geometry on a combination of bikes: think of this as a Kona Sutra mixed with a Moots Routt, with elements of Trek 520 and Surly LRT thrown in. I was also chasing an MTB-esque sloped top tube - partially for the additional exposed seatpost (more flex), and partially because I think it looks really cool. I'm still figuring things out fit-wise, but I really love the geometry - it fits me like a glove.

Due to Shimano's parts shortage (and the difficulty in finding legit parts in Canada), I've just thrown on a bunch of old/knockoff parts I had lying around. They fit on okay, and allowed me to stress-test the frame on a fully loaded 120km ride on Vancouver Island. I put a total of 115lb of gear on the frame, sat my 260lb rear-end on the saddle, and towed my 130lb sister and her 55lb bike up the hills - I'm proud to say that the only thing limiting my bike was my quadriceps and my lung capacity. Lateral stiffness was amazing!

Let me know what you guys think - I can't really alter the geometry (duh), but if you have any tips/noticed some glaring issue I missed, please let me know! As I said - I'm not a true framebuilder, but I'm proud of the job nonetheless.

Cheers
Likes For novecho_delta: