Old 01-23-23, 09:43 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I'm fortunate enough to have a first world problem. During 2016 and 2018 I acquired a pro-level road bike with 700x25 tires, a serious disc-brake gravel bike that can fit 700x40 tires and a disc-brake Endurance bike that can fit all 700x32 tires and some 700x33 tires.

I need to cull the herd. When I purchased the Raleigh Roker gravel bike, I was completing serious Gravel rides in the Ozarks, including the Cuba gravel crisis. These events required 700x35 tires or larger, due to the soft & unstable round, river-bed gravel that was often rutted by vehicles.

I now live along the Illinois/Wisconsin border and only ride firm gravel paths. I still like the control and stability of the gravel bike, but the Endurace bike on 700x32 slicks seems to be sufficient for the gravel rails-to-trails I'm currently riding.

Will I regret not having a serious gravel bike with larger tires? I might also sell the Endurance bike and have to choose between the road bike or the gravel bike depending on the route, but I’ll have to ride either pavement or gravel but not both on any given day.
I think you answered your own question, but yes for smooth/firm gravel paths and roads around Northern Illinois and So. Wisconsin anything more than 32-33mm tires is overkill for most situations, especially the rails-to-trails paths that are pretty hard packed crushed stone. I ride those on 28mm road tires sometimes. I know some people who run 35s around here, but that's mostly just a comfort factor, and not for any added capability.

I don't know the specifics of the Endurace - but for me I'd be happy on any drop bar bike that could fit 33mm CX tires as the "maximum" for local riding.