View Single Post
Old 03-18-23, 11:29 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, we assume certain risks when we ride on public roads, but we're also allowed the expectation that drivers will act responsibly.
I have no such expectation. FYI. There, in one sentence, is the Grand Canyon of our difference of opinion here at A&S.

Remember Steve Irwin a.k.a. Crocodile Hunter? He made a good living doing very dangerous things. I'll bet he took every precaution reasonably possible to ensure he lived to make the next episode. But when that giant manta ray killed him Norm Macdonald famously, and sarcastically, responded on The Daily Show "You will never guess who got killed.....the Crocodile Hunter". Or was it the folks cycling on a high speed arterial road? Not sure what's the difference between a mindless manta ray and a mindless motorists other than where they are known to exist and frequent. If we put ourselves in the line of fire of either one, and we get clobbered, lets not WHINE about it too.

Which brings us back to my post and proves my point: Many people here on A&S do not want to know or even hear about the risk. There is comfort in not knowing or believing things for many folks, not just cyclists. We live in an age of zero personal responsibility. Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD. If you DO, don't cry if things go sideways.