View Single Post
Old 06-08-22, 08:28 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3191 Post(s)
Liked 1,841 Times in 1,161 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
In this guy's case, he started falling around the house a couple years ago. My friend offered to help put hand rails around his house and even outside so he could get to the car safely, (he doesn't drive), and he insisted he's not ready for that. Friend tried to help set up the house so he can use a walker, "not yet" he insisted.

He didn't put up too much of a fight when they took his car away but even after multiple hospitalizations from falling, including breaking his hip, he doesn't think he's ready for the walker or even a cane. We'll see how he does after the hip surgery.

My other friend's father has crashed several cars in the last couple years but refuses to stop driving. He wants a new Tesla but he can't operate a smart phone. He's in his late 80s.
I've been saying I'm going to put handrails in the showers. One more thing on the list. My eyes are going to stop me from driving. Unless I get that cataract surgery they're talking about. The beauty of living here is that public transportation is so good that a car isn't really needed. It can save some time, going direct to a place that would take multiple buses, but it could be done without. The vast majority of the populace does without.