Thread: numbing palms
View Single Post
Old 10-01-22, 04:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by metropical
I did rotate the bars up a smidge from level last week. I'll put them back.
The hoods are where they were when I got the bike, but I'll move back as you describe.
The more I read, the more it seems I need to try a shorter greater angled stem for my aging self.
I'm gumby, although I can no longer touch my neck with my nose.
Gumby?

There are a couple basic things I aim for when setting up a bike. First, the pitch of the saddle should be neutral, in the sense of neither throwing me at the bars, nor having to reach out for them. Second, I should be able to lift my hands off the hoods, while riding along at 15-20 mph on a smooth, straight road, without falling forward. Third, I shouldn't feel either flat-footed (saddle too low) or like I'm reaching out with my toes for the pedals. I should be able to spin at 105 rpm easily.

That's all saddle position, and I generally set that up to match my other bikes.

Next, the bar. First, when I get on and start rolling, my hands should fall naturally onto the hoods, with a couple fingers wrapped around the brake lever. Second, I should be able to ride for a couple miles in the drops, pedaling at a normal cadence, without any back pain. While in the drops, I should be able to easily access the brake levers without having to contort my wrists.

With that fit, I've gone 100 miles with nothing going numb, and no pain apart from tired muscles. Oh, yeah - and I went through 4 saddles before I found one that really worked for me. Then they stopped making them!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles