Old 08-15-22, 11:23 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by tessellahedron
wow, talk about credibility. Gimme a chance to examine those links.

I like your suggestion. Can I use balls that are connected together in a little retainer thing or do they have to be the lose kind? (That's not a spelling error, it's what I do with them) I imagine they're standard sizes but what would I search for?
In the '70s, Normandy hubs were on just about any 10-speed you could acquire for less than $200, except for the Japanese brands. Peugeot, Raleigh, Dawes, Mercier, USA-made Schwinn all used Normandy hubs. I would have expected an Asian-made lugged Schwinn to have Japanese-spec hubs, but obviously that's not what you have.

Loose balls, by all means. Using a race introduces fitting problems and reduces the number of balls, which gives you a weaker hub. It's been a long time, but I believe it's 9 1/4" balls on each side. Here's a pretty good video on how to do it.
. You can do it without removing the freewheel if you disassemble from the non-drive. Note the distance from the outside of the drive side locknut to the bearing race. You will need to duplicate this on the new axle.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 08-15-22 at 11:31 AM.
Likes For oldbobcat: