Old 06-06-21, 09:59 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Got the 620 back from Cyclefab on Friday (so, a few days ago). Came out great! I measure 79mm front spacing and 82mm rear spacing, so we're in a great spot. Cyclefab (or simply, Colin) set the canti post height to the standard 283mm from the axle, which, while shaving off a few millimeters from Maximum Vertical Clearance Possibility, still clear the 42mm tires by 4-6mm depending on if it's the front or rear. No 42s and fenders dreams for me any more but really...was I going to? All good info for next time (aka another bike) should I go down that route. The canti post brazing is well done and looks period correct while also allowing for easy water drainage.

Assembled frame upon bringing it home.

Who gets three spring tension setting holes per post now? Massive upgrade (will still use the center, lol). More seriously, but this is one angle that shows the slightly outboard setting of the fork's cant posts. As you'll see in other views, it actually isn't that bad at all. REALLY excited about that!

Direct front view. The canti post unit only minorly breaks out of the fork blade's "silhouette"--sweet.

Direct rear/back view. This lateral protrusion will not be an issue once powder coated.

Just a small rear drain hole, something that we'd normally see on the inside of a fork blade or seat stay, but since this is a narrower fork with requested wider post spacing, we get this.

Here are the rears, up from 77mm to 82mm. Looking good.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: