Old 02-17-21, 04:22 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Brett A
I used ACA maps when I did a bit (800 miles) of the OR and CA coast. Their upside is they have bicycle-specific info such as the locations of camping and bike shops. The down side is they have no information for anything that's not on the the exact road you're pedaling on. For that reason, they can never be your only map.

As something of an aside, I was pretty surprised to find how few of those 800 miles of coast had room for bicycles on them. Most of that route (From Tillamook, OR to Bodega Bay, CA) had no shoulder to speak of, and tight turns with high speed limits. A real nerve-wracking route that many other cyclists I met were bothered by, Some even considered abandoning the route altogether.
I guess that is true if you consider your phone another map. Depending on where I am I have bothered to pick up state maps as I go or not. Never found it to be a problem when I didn't

So don't make the mistake I did of assuming since it's an ACA route that there will be shoulders or other comfortable/safe road conditions.
Folks have varying level of traffic tolerance and tolerance for road conditions. I found it pretty comfortable I don't recall specifics about shoulders or lack of them in that section, but remember the coast as a nice pleasant ride.

Also, I learned from that experience that when you ride an ACA route, you run into a lot of other cycle tourists. Which for me was a downside. I prefer to be alone when I tour.
For me it was a plus. I rode alone every day, but met up every evening in camp with a group of folks who quickly became friends. The OP will most likely not have the same experience on the Southern Tier since it is a way less popular route. I only met a few other riders on the whole trip.