View Single Post
Old 07-20-21, 08:09 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
descending with brakes scariness

Hello,

Been doing a ton of hills lately and have really improved my technique with suggestions from this forum. One thing I have noticed that I could use pointers on is when I'm going fast and need to slow down more than just "feathering" the brakes, I find if the road isn't nice and smooth I get an uncomfortable shaking feeling as i'm pushing my weight back. Kind of difficult to describe, but here's the scenario:

I'm descending full speed and realize I need to slow down quick (not an emergency) so I apply the brakes (mainly the front) firmly but gently while pushing my weight back. The chatter of the road combined with my stiff arms makes my vision shake to the point where I feel like I'm on the verge of losing control. If the road were smooth this doesn't seem to be an issue.

Any pointers to help me out? Is it that in pushing my weight back I'm stiffening my arms and need to stop that?

P.S. This forum has been fantastic in helping me improve my riding technique and I thank you in advance for continuing to do so