Old 11-20-22, 08:19 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
If only the clamp's ID were the issue one could shim just that and the clamp wouldn't be on the edge of closing up. However I agree with Francis in that the slot also looks to be closing up.

If a 31.8 post did fit and reduce/solve the clamp's closing up I would suggest living with that. But I don't remember the OP even trying this cheap fix. Seems that there could be more at stake in his eyes than a well riding bike.

There are reasons why a reamer cuts off size. Piece holding, cutting edge sharpness, lube among the biggies. I suspect the builder used a straight flute reamer, given the "The reamer apparently can't ream through a discontinuity (cut) in the sleeve" comment. If the reamer is an adjustable one chips stuck in the reamer blades' slots, or poorly seated blades, can also affect the cut diameter. A spiral reamer would reduce both concerns by a lot...

I do like the suggestion to have a third party expert get involved. But having been on all three sides of this possibility over the years I wouldn't hold my breath on the frame's builder accepting this assessment/arbitration. In the end the leverage a customer has, besides the bank/credit card claim possibility, is that of poor notoriety. I hope the builder cares about his reputation and steps up to work out a solution before that "nuclear option" is taken. Andy