Thread: 2022 Randonnees
View Single Post
Old 05-01-22, 06:27 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I successfully completed a 200k yesterday in NJ on a red upright bike. It was supposed to be 40F at the start but driving down in the early morning darkness, the cranberry farmers ominously had the sprinklers on to protect the crop from frost. 30F into a 10 mph headwind was an eye opening start. I rode with a first time randonneur for the whole ride. He wants to do a SR600 and shy ole me did not have the heart to tell him to work up to it. He's planning on a 300k perm tuesday, I did suggest not getting burnt out. He and I were riding on a nice country road 2 up chatting. We were the lead riders out of around 50 starters when out of nowhere three riders came by us sprinting like going they were into the Arenberg forest. My Newb says what was that? I said, maybe there is a Strave Prime on the line. Their break succeeded, I am proud of myself that I did not care enough to chase, probably old age. And what is it with Garmin notifications, "4 days to recover, this ride was unproductive at your age". I need to look into Wahoo. I felt a lot better after finishing PBP. Maybe I need to hire a coach or buy a TP subscription. Or just be patient.

The day warmed up and I was in shorts. Yippee. Every control was manned with lots of water and happy smiling volunteers. Best of all, the owner of the Inn at the finishing control gave us all a free meal, free drinks and a homemade brownie. Incredible,,,,but he is also a Rando. In all, a great day. My new strong as an ox rando, super nice buddy was covered head to toe in white salt. I slept 14 hours, more than twice my normal. I am not sure I am capable of doing a hilly 400k in 2 weeks time. Maybe.
Likes For GhostRider62: