View Single Post
Old 01-03-16, 01:17 PM
B2mac

Bikes: 2005 Gary Fisher Nirvana; 2010 Trek FX7.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Comfort would be the main reason I would go with carbon which is why I would lean towards the Domane and the Roubiax. Lighter and faster are good too but not if it means sacrificing too much comfort. My wife would ride this bike when we go together or on group rides. She feels she is struggling to keep up and I was hoping a different bike might help. I think I feel the bumps as much or more with the Trek with 32c tires and carbon fork as I do with the Fisher with 35c tires and chromoly fork. I will probably switch tires in the spring. I use my Gary Fisher for any winter riding I do. All in all I agree it might be quite a bit to spend for a little comfort.
Originally Posted by MRT2
You haven't said, other than the tires, what you don't like about the 7.5. While I am sure they are making comfortable carbon frames such as the Domane and the Roubaix, it is a relative concept. These are bikes designed to go fast riding on narrow 25c tires, and it seems to me the advantage of carbon is weight and stiffness, and comfort is really tertiary. I could be wrong, of course, but it seems to me you can increase the comfort of your 7.5 by switching to a nicer tire. In any case, it is a lot cheaper than the thousands you will spend on a carbon fiber road bike.