Old 08-06-18, 12:08 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,848 Times in 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by -holiday76
- the time I was trying to remove a fixed BB cup with a park tool, it slipped and i punched myself in the face.
Are you saying that doesn't happen every time you try to remove a fixed cup? I thought it was a sign that I was doing it right. Fixed cup -- punch myself in the face (sometimes just the shoulder). Drive side pedal -- maim my hand on the big chainring when the pedal finally comes loose. Both seem pretty standard.

The dumbest thing I've done...this year at Eroica, the day before the ride I noticed that the tip of the valve stem on my rear tubular was bent over at a 90 degree angle. It was holding air and I was certain that the valve core wasn't replaceable so I wouldn't let anyone touch it, or even look at it closely. On the day of the ride, I was starting off with around 30 psi. By the last climb I was bottoming out on every bump and pebble on the road. At the top of the hill I was finally desperate enough to try to straighten the valve tip. Naturally it broke off and I had to take the SAG wagon back to the finish. About a month later I was messing around in the garage and discovered that the valve core was, in fact, replaceable.