View Single Post
Old 10-22-18, 07:11 AM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
I wish people would stop holding the IOC as a paragon of how sports should be run. To use it to support the idea that the right to participate in sport is a human right seems a stretch -- not that the idea doesn't have some merit.

The inequity of competitive sport is part of it's definition. However, it's up to the participants / organizations to decide what is acceptable to the rules of the sport -- as well outlined by Carleton in his posts.

SF won fair and square according to the rules as established by the UCI. However, I don't think it's fair to completely dismiss the objections of some of her competitors. As pointed at by many, there are physiologic differences that go beyond just testosterone levels between those who have an xx or xy chromosome. Additionally, are the physiologic differences during childhood development caused by the xy chromosome create an overly unfair playing field in track sprinting?

I would hope that people can consider these things without resorting to "she's a he" or "sour grapes" arguments. This is going to come up again, and more so in the future, and these are not unreasonable questions to ask.