View Single Post
Old 10-24-18, 06:32 AM
rustymongrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think this post from earlier pretty much sums up my feelings. Things like racing categories and age groups/masters racing are great because they make competition more fun and accessible for people of different ability levels. Elite competition is different

Originally Posted by queerpunk
Right?

As a bike racer, I've come to terms with disappointment a lot - being beaten by people who outclass the rest of the field; being beaten by full time athletes who just get to train more and recover better; athletes who don't have to travel to this race that we're both at; or natural athletes who just start out a ****load faster, stronger, and better than I did. I think that the stuff around sex and gender with trans participation hits some competitive people hard because we like to think that we have a shot of winning, and we like to think that there is something fundamentally disqualifying about people who beat us: to too many bike racers, winners are either dopers or sandbaggers. I've seen a lot of bike racers (and surely it's similar in other sports) try to figure out how to ensure that racing is a "level playing field" - which, honestly, means that a lot of people want to ensure that they're only racing races where they have a reasonable shot at winning or medaling.

But sports aren't about a fair playing field or having a shot at winning. For me, it's about coming to terms with the certainty that I am not the best - that there are a lot of people who are better than me - and the more I try to slice away at the competition to remove them from the starting line in the first place, the more I smell bull**** on my breath - you know?

Cycling lets you touch the hem of your dreams. A guy I race with at ttown just won the World Cup Scratch Race; USA Cycling has been sending riders I've beaten to World Cups and other international races. I can, for a moment, flirt with the notion that I could have been there too. But then I remember that everything's more complicated than that.

I think I understand this because of my experience in another sport. If I went back to swimming tomorrow and was able to get close to how fast I was 7 years ago in college I would be on the podium at masters worlds in multiple events and probably win one. To me that means nothing since there would still be literally thousands of elites posting faster times than that any given year.

Anyways, correct me if I'm wrong but no rules have been broken here right? Like I said before I don't think the fact that one athlete winning one event at Masters worlds is reason enough to have this much debate on the validity of the rules. If multiple Trans athletes are dominating podiums at elite worlds then maybe.