View Single Post
Old 06-01-20, 09:09 AM
Inisfallen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
This probably isn't the issue, but - look at the clamp with the pin in tight. Do the two sides of the clamp meet at the pin? You should always be able to slip a piece of cardboard between the clamp insides at the pin, (Of course, you can't, The pin is in the way. But with the clamp closed like that and if the pin were not there, could you slip that cardboard in?)

If the insides are hitting, all that pin is doing is trying to compress solid aluminum and the clamp is not getting any tighter around the seatpost. Good thing is that the fix is really easy. Take the clamp off (my web search suggests it is one of those easily removable ones) and simply file or sandpaper the inside faces until the clamp passes my cardboard test. (Any thin cardboard will do. Just no contact - ever.

If the clamp is not removable, get a thin file, and file or sandpaper and widen the slot, again until it passes the test.

Idiotically simple but you are far from the first to be so stumped (if indeed this is the issue). I've been there. Read the rest of the advice you have seen and will see here. Yo should not need a clamp death grip to keep the post from slipping..

Ben
Thanks! A useful check. Unfortunately, that's not it. There's no contact. But there may have been some helpful information in your post. The clamp is indeed easily removable, and I took it off and put it back on, making sure it was seated right all the way around. Maybe that will help.

And thanks, rhenning, for your suggestion, but there's no spacer missing. There is a spacer, and there could not possibly be another. I'll post a pic when I can, but there's nothing missing.

Maybe linberl has the right idea. We'll see.

I hope there's a solution. I'd hate to find out that I'm just too big for a folder -- that's all I've got room for at home (typical NYC cramped apartment, with wife and three kids).